Sunday, March 11, 2007

Leaving Chongqing


We finally left Chongqing!!!

Michael took us to a neat place in the morning. It was the older section of Chongqing that over looks one of the rivers. There were street vendors up and down that we got to look, shop and bargain with. Michael said if we paid asking price we were wasting our money! I got ripped off a few times. When a beautiful silk scarf that I would pay $45.00 American dollars is marked $12.00RMB…that is $1.50 in US… how can I want to bargain? But then two stores later I see the same scarf marked $10.00 RMB… so I was ripped off twenty-five cents!!! I bought an outfit for Chase and Mom bought the same one for someone at home… I paid $130.00 RMB and mom paid $60.00 RMB! Boy that made me feel foolish for not dealing a bit better… then mom comes to the room and asks if she can buy my outfit…she wanted to deal… she offered me $60 but I told her $70…. So she is going to buy the outfit I paid $130.00 for, for $70.00 I am even getting ripped off by my own family!! Lots of neat things there, one vendor was selling snacks, grasshoppers, beetles, and some other large bugs on sticks, smoked pig heads, and chicken’s feet. DELICIOUS!!!!!! After shopping we had a traditional Chinese lunch. It was ok, once again not things you would find at any restaurant back home and it ended up costing 40 RMB per person, which is about $5.
Packed the bags, set them out for the bellhops and had 2 hours to kill, so Mallory, Ginnie, and I decided to make one last walk to McDonald’s, lunch just didn’t do it for us. Walking through Chongqing city, will be one of the most memorable things we did on this trip. The people were so intrigued by Americans. It was really incredible!
We flew to Guangzhou, landed @ 8:30, left for the hotel, got checked in and settled @ midnight.
The White Swan is a gorgeous hotel! The rooms are a bit small, but everything is very elegant.
(HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAPA!! HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS! FROM YOUR FAMILY IN CHINA!)

No comments: