Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Packing for China

I am sitting here with a thousand things I should be doing right now just wishing the time to fly by, we have about 36 hours to go. Not that I would ever want to waste one minute of life but knowing I would rather be getting in the car and heading to the airport than cleaning my house and making sure my number one son, Christopher, has food while we are away. (He is almost 22 but needs his mom!)
The house is buzzing with excitment. I picked up JoAnn from the airport this morning, took care of the banking stuff, went to get my hair done and now I am waiting for Jay to get home from work and mom to drive here. My brother is going to bring his package scale over tonight so we can all weigh our suitcases. We keep weighing them on the human scale!
Now that is the part of the story everyone needs to hear. You are allowed 44 lbs of weight and only one suitcase. Yes, girls, I said ONE. Now I know as a middle aged person that sixteen days of clothes for me do not weigh less than 44 lbs...but I am mostly worried about Amanda! She being a young adult and worried about her appearance wants to bring her hair dryer, curling iron, hair straightener, every beauty product known to man and at least five pairs of shoes! Sorry Amanda, not this trip!
They have explained to us that they will fine the entire travel group if we are over weight. So I keep putting limits on her.
BUT my suitcase, mind you, is full of crayons, coloring books, chocolate bars for the kids in the orphanage, gifts for the nannies, and diapers, baby formula and clothes for Ali. My suitcase weights 42.6 lbs!
Now Jay waited to pack yesterday. He has his clothes (men's clothes weigh less than womens) and my makeup bag he is at 38 lbs! He wants to pack food in his suitcase for the rest of the weight as he doesn't like a lot of foods and is afraid that he will go hungry in China!

No comments: